This is a cabin we made from MOSTLY used building materials leftover
from building our Firstday Cottage. Some materials were left over from
remodeling our current house over the past few years. Total amount for
Materials invested so far is 40 bucks to date (Dec 05 2006)
20 bucks for 4 sheets of OSB
20 bucks for 9 pounds of drywall screws
Deb and I wanted to make something for us. After working over a year
on the Firstday Cottage that we are going to sell, we decided to do
something more "manageable" both time wise and money ( of which we have
none!!!!!). I'm somewhat surprised how much material even a small cabin
like this eats. We had what I though was plenty of materials. 2 x 4s in
general I had to scrounge extra hard to find also plywood we just
didn't have enough. Some materials are ugly as ass and crooked but
perfect for a project like this!!
Here are some pictures to what we have done so far.
Before we took these pictures the land had to be clear of mostly young growth trees. 30 years ago this land was cleared and really this was what it seems a pile that was pushed there and left. I managed to set a couple of blocks on the high side of the hill with minimal digging! Yes this might NOT be below frost line, being that soil is pretty rocky I think i should be ok... time will tell.
The one post in the front while digging hit a massive root from a pine tree. I had to do some creative solution, it didn't sit the others but using rocks as shims its there , is level and seems to not want to go anywhere.
OH By the way HELL YEAH for a battery powered impact driver. If i had one of these babies when I built forts back in the day.... Working with screws makes mistakes or re-designs alot easier to do and having it battery powered makes life alot easier from many standpoints!
2" styrofoam in between 2 x 4 floor joists
Ninja playing in the leaves
Kicking around idea's with paulson and ploutz
Go DeBBie Power.
ANOTHER WALL RAISING!
Rock on ;)
This is what happens when good hammers go bad
Damn...3rd wall for deb..
Here is framed out 3 windows to be
The first trust seems to fit well.... my notches where a bit over what was needed
West facing door and window row, wear 3 windows will be stacked ontop of each other
I went out yesterday and took some pics of where we are so far.
Here is a pic of the trusts after being stained and typar wrapped around them
South Facing wall with 3 double pained windows
East Facing Wall With 2 windows top one for ventalation
We used old insulation from the building of our FirstDay. Cut scaps into usable peices, we will be slightly short but it's just scrap!
South View: Looks like a couple of the windows have seals that are of no good. Oh well it's got to be better then single pane
close up of the interior details around the window frames
A combo of beadboard and polyisonurate insulation
Our Super Cool Ladder! Haven't fell from it once! , allthough it's just a matter of time
outside window sil detail
We have not spent to much time working on the cabin until this last month. We have been camping on the land quite a bit in it though :) We are trying to get everything closed in for winter.
The following things have been done latley. We installed the lock ..which no one will F with. I mean there is a piece of single pane glass right above it. The person would actually have to break that glass ..
Finished up the roof. ( need ridge cap)
Screen in loft window.
Added a sleeping loft . This has really change the place complelty . The loft is around 6' off the ground so there is just enough room to compleltly walk under it.
A "rustic" ladder. yes rustic means i ran out of wood to build it and thought it would be cooler with raw logs. I like the ladder alot.
A Deck made of old T & G interior decking ... with the T gone :)
Starting siding the outside with cedar shakes. This cost us 12 bucks a bundle and we got 5 and will need 7 more. We will most likley use pine shakes on the back, hopefully cheaper as this has doubled our total spent and we still got 2 more exterior walls to skin.
We have now put a few extra dollars into the cabin. Mostly because we are ready to finish it. We bought another mr. Buddy propane heater for the cabin (first one was stolen last year from the cabin). We were going to but a fireplace in it. Actually we did and then we decided it took up to much space. So out it went. I bet now that we have around 900 dollars into the cabin.
Interior finished with some more pine and some cheap paint which covers the beat up 2x4's and pine. It's really cool to finish the inside after such a lengthy build. However, its never been an important need to get done project. We are happy with the way it turned out. Just have to finish putting on some more shakes on the outside.