underneath all used forms of man made societal structures is an earth that is alive and breathing.
change …. constant…. flowing …. through structures of attempted permanence until it succumbs and is something new again
So as of before these pics we had none of the insulation umbrella/skirting/cape of PAHS system done. The rear section had been absorbing some water and putting pressure on the rear wall a bit in the previous years so this year I wanted at least the back done. The was the goal before last winter too..lol. We currently have the first 4′ all around the house down. That is the 4′ that is going along the ground horizontally outward.
The problem is there is a list of things that needed to get done..this was one. So as a spur of the moment thing I had my friend Ron and his brother in law Ash help for like 2 hours. We managed to get insulation on and it covered temporarily. As this stage in the project where movitvation is a bit low (actually getting better the more progress we make) its nice to accomplish something that had been taking mental space and at least get it started
Here is a nice shot from behind looking down. The circle you see is where the solar collector will go. There is no insulation there so that that ground can absorb the suns energy and tuck it away for winter. The pipe you see Is my attempt at making a completely passive solar water heater. I am hoping to avoid the possibility of freezing without using any complicated heat exchanger. By tucking the tubing against the warm earth I think i can keep it so it does not freeze. If it did for any reason though its ABOVE the water rubber membrane so would not get to dry heat storage area!
At this point we coverd with the rubber membrane which was nice with 3 people! We left it a night . The next days I have peeled back the membrane and am filling up the void in the circle. With no dirt fill it would be a low point and would collect water.
Its now completly covered …. battery died.
Its kind of funny to think about the many different thoughts on the wood stove area during the few years of building. Using giant rocks was in my head for a while. Well it finally needed to happen because it’s October and we might need our wood stove back in place soon.
Our friend Ron had stored some old bricks from the city on our upper cul de sac. I thought they might look cool. Come to find out most have paint from years ago on them. They were the bricks used in the railroading days of our towns hey day. We first needed to fill the holes that removing the bedroom floor made with concrete.
The bricks all had lots of growies on them from years of sitting outside..so had to be dragged down the hill and washed/scrubbed.
We ended our first day and our first time of mud slinging….it came out pretty well for newbies I think! The bricks are various sizes, so it’s not possible to get a flat wall.
Deb did all of day 2 while I did outside projects. Here is what she got done.
The plumbing has been mostly done for a while know besides the kitchen sink. Our friend Ron had the pex tools we needed and he had done most the indoor plumbing so far so I was waiting for him. He had some time so we rocked out the last of the plumbing. Check . One step closer to final inspection.
The electrical is another thing that has been 95% done for a while now. We just needed to do the siding so we could mount the two exterior outlets.
The way I choose to try to do the floor plain did not work. The gravel I layed out ended up in reality not being a vapor barrier like I had in mind but instead being a way to capture and condense moisture in the air. The metal pipe i ran for conduit ended up being a drain . The cold pipe condensing further and drain said moisture to our crawl space. During this making the boards have varying amounts of growies. When it was humid out / long periods of rain you could smell below the oak plank boards and it was funky….when it was dry it was not bad.
This had bothered me for a while so while I knew it would be a hell of a job (and it was) it was time to do it again. I removed all the gravel…with a pick and axe took out about 9 inches of packed dirt covering 200sq ft area. Wheel barrow it out… it was very labor intensive and that was just the prep. After getting things clean I layed 6mil thick ,black plastic on the floor and the sides completely sealing the extremely shallow crawl space..more like a void between floor joists and ground. Concrete screws held the joists against the wall.
We ended up using rough- sawn hemlock 2×8s. This how ever was the same direction as the floor boards but rather then spanning the 20′ the other way was the best way. I then took hemlock 2×4’s and filled the gaps so that the oak boards with holes already drilled would line up. There used to be gaps in between the boards which would collect junk so i decided to shiplap each boards with a circular saw to get a “sealed” floor. That was also a lot of work.. still got our room to do ..but for some reason that room is not as bad so it will wait while I build up the motivation to do it again This house will be right..just might take me a few tries sometimes Pictures.
finished and stained
South facing wall almost done.
East wall siding done…WOOT
Another wall done with the south wall we previously finished-ish